quarta-feira, 16 de janeiro de 2013

The meaning of Namaste


While we respond “Namaste” to our yoga teacher at the end of a practice, we should really be offering “Namaste” to the entire class, and traditionally greet each other at the beginning of practice as well. Breaking down the word, ‘Nama’ means ‘bow’, and ‘te’ means you. So, a fairly direct translation leads to “I bow to you.” Outside of the everyday, and infused with a spiritual practice within a community, “Namaste” can offer so much more. It is an act to perform. You place your hands, palms together, at the center of the chest or forehead and bow slightly (or deeply, depending), offering honor to your counterpart. It’s not necessary to know someone to trade “Namastes,” but perhaps the salutation feels as if it means more when you exchange it with those you know or love. That’s not the case. “Namaste” acknowledges that we are all pieces of the Universe, maybe made up of stardust, and containing the divine. In this way, we are all the same. We are all one. “Namaste” reminds us of this most important principle of life.
My favorite expression of Namaste’s essence comes from Mahatma Gandhi— 
“I honor the place within you were the entire Universe resides; I honor the place within you of love, of light, of truth, of peace; I honor the place within you where, when you are in that place in you, and I am in that place in me, there is only one of us.”
Remember the meaning of “Namaste” the next time you say it and your words will hold even more power.
“Namaste.”



Nenhum comentário:

Postar um comentário